Welcome to the Royal Sportsman Hotel - the only 3-star, full-service accommodation locally with the best-value 2 AA Rosette food for many miles around. We are Porthmadog’s premier hotel at the gateway to Snowdonia and Llŷn.
Independently managed under new ownership since June 2013, our hotel is renowned for its welcoming atmosphere and knowledgeable staff at its heart.
We are an ideal base for either leisure or business guests to explore or work in the area. On our doorstep we have 1,000 square miles of world-class scenery – including Mount Snowdon – and an amazing array of visitor attractions and businesses of all sizes.
At a glance we offer:
- 28 en-suite, non-smoking family, double, twin & single rooms
- Gastro bar, 2 AA Rosette restaurant, lounge and patio garden
- Open to non-residents; families with children and dogs welcome
- Special dinner, bed & breakfast rates for large groups
- Private, covered car park for guests and customers
- WIFI available – free to guests; customer donations
- Exclusive guests’ discount vouchers for many attractions
- AA 4-star overall quality with excellent Visit Wales & Trip Advisor ratings
Our team look forward to welcoming you.
Rooms & Groups
We have 28 small and larger, en-suite, no smoking rooms on the ground, first and second floors.
We can accommodate large groups – up to 56 guests – where you are willing to share rooms. Ground-floor courtyard rooms are designated for dogs and especially suited to guests with walking difficulties or young children. One family room is particularly designed for wheelchair users.
Food & Drink
Our hotel has 2 AA Rosettes for its food, one of only five in Gwynedd to achieve such status and is among the very best in Snowdonia.
Such exceptional, modern or traditional British/Welsh meals are at great value. We serve in either our well-stocked ‘gastro’ bar, 65-seater restaurant, lounge or outside patio garden.
We stock a large range of drinks – real cask/keg ales, lagers, ciders, wines, spirits, cocktails and soft – as well as speciality teas, coffees and luxury hot chocolate to accompany your food.
Facilities & Services
- Parking – free, on-site, private, and covered for cars/motorcycles, on a first-come basis; but reserved on request for Blue Badge holders or those with walking difficulties.
- Electric car charging points – two free for guests; nominal fee for customers.
- WIFI – free throughout for guests; charity donation from customers.
- Storage – secure room for golfers, cyclists and walkers etc to keep and/or dry equipment and clothing.
Attractions & Activities
With stunning mountains, beaches, abundant visitor attractions and so many indoor/outdoor adventure activities some say the area now has more to see and do than the Lake District, Cornwall, Scotland or Ireland. It’s also less crowded and much nearer to travel from many UK cities.
Our hotel is very close to the Italianate village of Portmeirion, the world-renowned Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways, and major new adventure activities such as underground trampolines, exhilarating zip-wires and a Bear Grylls survival challenge!
Porthmadog – known as the ‘Gateway To Snowdonia and Llŷn’ – is the perfect location whatever the occasion for family, friends, business and even pets! There is so much to see and do for all backgrounds, ages and abilities in the Snowdonia National Park and Llŷn Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Our centrally-located hotel is at the quieter end of Porthmadog High Street. A mainline Cambrian Coast train station and all shops are less than five minutes walk.
As Porthmadog’s premier hotel, we are among the very best in Gwynedd and Snowdonia and come in the top three AA & Visit Wales 3-star hotels in all of North Wales.
In 2015 for the fifth year running we won a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. In 2013 a senior AA inspector awarded four stars for overall quality and an above-UK-average merit score of 82%. In 2012, 2013 and 2014 we featured in the AA’s ‘Britain’s Best Hotel Guide’.